Based in San Jose, California, our client is a digital health start-up developing a groundbreaking operating system for behavior tracking and change. They were purchased in 2019 by the largest medical device company in the world and have an ambitious roadmap ahead to combine our technology with their systems to help millions of patients around the world. Our clients automatic meal detection capabilities hold great promise for improving the quality of life and health for individuals living with diabetes. Automatic meal detection paves the way for a fully autonomous closed loop artificial pancreas system, delivering insulin at the start of a meal without user intervention.
They are looking for a bright and enthusiastic Principal Software Engineer to join their team. You should think about joining us if you care about having a lasting impact on people with diabetes and other chronic conditions, and if you are passionate about developing high quality software and delivering best-in-class user experiences across a wide range of mobile and wearable platforms.
A Day in the Life
As a Principal Software Engineer, you would be involved in the following activities:
• Specify, design, implement, test and maintain new features and functionality for our mobile apps, wearable apps and the supporting cloud infrastructure.
• Be a technical leader within the company, performing code and design review and contributing to processes which drive higher quality and better performance.
• Further develop our overall software architecture adding further flexibility to support a growing number of wearable devices, mobile platforms and patient use-cases.
• Build robust monitoring, metrics and QA infrastructure with the goal of improving system reliability and surfacing issues early and providing data and visualizations to aid troubleshooting efforts.
• Support teams and engineers in the larger organization, fostering productive relationships through which we can get things done quickly and with minimal overhead.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned:
• Designs, develops, tests, debugs and implements operating systems components, software tools and utilities.
• Determines systems software design requirements.
• Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
• Generates systems software engineering policies, standards and procedures.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical discipline.
• 7+ years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 5+ years of experience with a Masters degree.
Nice to Have
• MS In Computer Science or related technical discipline.
• Experience in developing high quality mobile apps and their corresponding web services.
• Experience using cross-platform mobile development stacks (e.g. Flutter, React-Native) and web service frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django, express.js).
• Systems languages: C, C++, Java, Objective-C, Dart, Swift, Kotlin, Rust, etc.
• Experience applying machine learning to solve problems.
• Experience working in the health or medical devices industry.
• Experience with cloud computing environments (e.g. AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud).
• Experience writing apps for wearable devices (Apple Watch, Fitbit, Wear OS, Tizen, etc.) or other embedded devices.
• Strong specification, design, implementation and testing skills.
• Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills. Self-driven to find and fix the root cause of issues.
Position will be based out of the offices in San Jose or Los Angeles